Sunday, December 5, 2010

Susan's Swiss Chard + Beets!

Day 4 with the giant box of produce, and I'm making progress! Today I got to the swiss chard and did almost as Susan suggested. I skipped the boiling of the chard and put it straight into the frying pan with garlic and used olive oil instead of butter. Although I knew that the flavour would be amazing with the butter, I planned to prepare beets to go with it, and the dressing had olive oil.

While the chard was cooking, I washed and quartered two beets, and steamed them for 15 minutes. When done, I mixed them up with a chopped clove of garlic, a few chopped basil leaves, olive oil, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. The beets went on top of the chard, et voila:

a yummy warm salad! A close up:

The beets and chard worked really well together. A nice warm salad is perfect on the day of the first real snowfall of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment