Wednesday, December 15, 2010

mamaqturpaalu!

Tonight I went to see the documentary, Qapirangajuq, it's about climate change from the Inuit perspective. The director Zacharias Kunuk and filmmaker Ian Mauro were there, and there was a question and answer period afterwards. It was really neat as there were people from very perspectives asking all sorts of questions. They even had a call via Skype from the UK.

I started taking Inuktitut classes on Saturday mornings a couple of months ago. It's a lot of fun, and my classmates are similar to me, mostly halfsies who grew up mostly in the south and have a half-decent base, but we just need to find our way over that hurdle to learn Inuktitut. It took a while, but I realized that language learning is more learning a new vocabulary. After that, I also learned that it's more than conjugating verbs. It's learning a way of life, and a big part of that is food. An optional course at a language school in France is gastronomy. I've eaten more different kinds of fish after living in Spain. If there is one thing I know about learning languages, it's that your palate expands along with your lexicon.

In this documentary, they talk about food, and about respecting the environment, where your food comes from. At the 6-minute mark, they are cooking fish. My mouth started to water. Seeing the broth after, I could smell and taste uujuq, seal broth. We all know that I'm a fan of soup, and I could really go for a nice, rich, hot bowl of uujuq right now. Later on, they eat some quaq, frozen meat. My stomach growled, I wouldn't mind some quaq sometime soon.

While I don't have any of that goodness on hand (but maybe my mum does? *hinthint*), my box of piruqsiaq arrived today:


Kale, living salad, squash, potatoes, pears, mandarins, oranges, onions, apples, carrot and mushrooms this time! If any of you have a mushroom recipe that you love, please share, I have nothing after the casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment