Thursday, November 4, 2010

Teeth

Last week I had my wisdom teeth out. Most of you who read this blog already know this. I had prepared my fridge with individual packages of rice pudding and apple sauce. I made jello and vanilla pudding, thinking that if I get sick of these, I won't miss them afterwards. I ate more sugar in 4 days than I had in months. Definitely sick of 'porquerias'.

Since I've been back on my feet, in other words, off the painkillers, I've been running around with little spare time; I'm still recovering, so I fall into bed at the end of the day exhausted. I bought canned soup the other day. I tried to make it better by buying Amy's brand. It's the first time I tried this brand and they're pretty darn good! However, I miss creating deliciousness.

My solution: trying out one of these soup mixes of mixed beans! I've never been a bean user, I think it's one of those things that you prepare if you grow up with it. I started making lentils a couple of years ago, that's the Spanish influence, but I haven't ventured very much beyond that.

The instructions said to soak this mix overnight, then rinse, boil vigorously for 10 minutes, then simmer for an hour or two. First thing I learned in the morning when rinsing these babies: beans stink. No wonder there's that little tune.

When I added them to the soup base to boil, I also added 5 cloves of garlic, whole, 2 carrots, peeled and chopped, and 3 chopped chives. The result:

I have to say it was pretty darn good! It was nice as it was filling, yet easy on the jaw. While I've been adventurous in trying to chew, I realized that I have to take it easy. Beans are easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment