Saturday, January 7, 2012

Nuts!

There are no actual nuts in this recipe. It's for Butternut Coconut Rice. I wrote about the single girl's butternut squash in my last post. A girl can really get a few meals out of 1 regular sized butternut squash. T lent me a cookbook while she's away, Appetite for Reduction. It's all vegan recipes, and where this came from.

It suggested toasting some shredded coconut for texture if you have time. I decided to try this out, it's pretty easy, 6 tbsps of shredded coconut into a dry pan at low heat. I suggest 3 if you have an electric stove. After 10 minutes at 2, nothing was happening.


This is how much butternut squash I had leftover from the other day, I pureed it with my hand blender.


Since that was ready, the other stuff needed to go into a pan with olive oil:

- 1 cup minced onion (let soften for 5 minutes before added the other stuff)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 tsp dried red pepper flakes

Let all of that get flavourful, then add:

- the butternut squash
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (from the carton, not the can!)
- 1/4 cup veggie stock (or a little more for a creamier consistency)

Only while I was on my detox did I learn that there is MSG in bouillon cubes. I had been using these bouillon cubes in most of my soups where I didn't make the broth myself. I also used them in paella. My best friend also uses them. I've since switched, getting the organic stuff sans MSG.

Once your butternut coconut is ready, add it to your prepared brown rice. Yummmm. It's really gingery, delicious and somewhat curry-like.


1 comment:

  1. Chiquita, you haven't posted in a while, which is great for me because I need to catch up on your recipes. So yeah, you've been nominated Butternut Squash queen. I will not rest until I've used all your BnS recipes. Thanks! Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete