Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Brownies?!

Dear Friends,

You may remember from many a previous post that I was not a fan of chocolate. It made me thirsty. Well, once I started detoxing, I wanted chocolate. That insatiable craving that I've heard other people describing so many times with a crazy look in their eyes. I asked my naturopath about this, and she explained that we don't have many bitter flavours in our diets, and since I had given up coffee I no longer had anything to satisfy that bitter craving. In with the chocolate. Since I was also off of dairy, soy, gluten and sugar, my options were limited, but I managed to find a bar that met the requirements at the local hippy grocery store.

Since my options have opened up, I've been exploring different chocolate avenues. My friend P gave me the recipe for, are you ready?

Black Bean Brownies!! Crazy, I thought. I must try them. Try them I did. Drooled over them I did. Making another batch right now I am:


Ingredients
1 can of rinsed black beans (19 oz.) (this is 2 cups if you're using black beans that you've prepared because you also don't want to spend $4.19 on a can with a BPA free liner and haven't done the measurement before)
3 eggs
½ cup of unsweetened cocoa (important to remember this!) <- this is a note that P included, she is pregnant and forgot the cocoa
½ cup of butter or coconut oil (I used coconut oil, that stuff is expensive)
¾ cup of sucanat
½ cup of chopped dark chocolate or chips
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
2/3 of walnuts

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Add all ingredients, except walnuts, to a food processor to puree
3. Add brownie batter to pre-greased 8x8 pan
4. Bake for approx. 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (I had to bake them for 45 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment