Sunday, February 20, 2011

Mixing it up

It's a yoga weekend! I made Sloppy Josephines to take for lunch on Saturday, they're like Sloppys Joes, but vegetarian:

1 cup green lentils, boiled in veggie stock until soft

In a large pan, fry 1 chopped onion until soft and starting to brown. Then add:

3 cloves chopped garlic
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tbsp oregano

Let it all cook for a couple more minutes, then stir in:

1/4 cup (there abouts!) barbecue sauce
1 tbsp worstershire sauce
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
a little over half of a large can of crushed tomatoes

If you're participating in Tupperware Life, pack in a plastic container, with a big ol' bun on the side to take with you so that it doesn't get soggy. Devour after the most intense two hour power practice of your life. Or after a morning of financial analysis. Or data entry. Or putting out fires. It's probably delicious at home, on a plate as well.


If you've read any of my smoothie posts, you know there is always a spoonful of delicious peanut butter in there. If you read my dog blog, you know that the subtle sound of the peanut butter jar is what gets Oslo out of bed in the morning. Well, I ran out of peanut butter the other day [gasp!]. So I'm getting all creative this weekend.

Standard ingredients of one of my smoothies:

1 banana
frozen blueberries, as much as seems appropriate/the max that won't jam the Magic Bullet
1 tsp chia seeds (ch-ch-ch-chia!)
a bunch of spinach
almond milk to the top

It's a pretty solid combination. This morning, I added tofutti, it's a non-dairy cream cheese. And here I defended my non-vegetarianism on Friday. I was imagining a cheesecake like smoothie, yum! It came out pretty dang creamy and delicious, but wasn't sweet enough to compare to cheesecake - that's a good thing. Try it. Here's a picture of the amazingness along side the Nectar of the Gods in my current favourite mug:


Yesterday's smoothie. If you're a friend of mine, you'll know I'm not crazy about chocolate. For those of you who didn't know, and have surprised me with some sort of chocolate gift, that super excited face was a lie. I apologize. Why don't I like chocolate? Because it makes me thirsty. The smell also bothers me, especially when it's melted. Don't get me wrong, I'll eat the stuff, I don't hate it. I just won't be ordering the raved about chocolate dessert at any restaurant, buying a chocolate bar because I'm craving it, or getting a chocolate sundae.

Despite all that, I realize that chocolate is loved by many, and I make the occasional attempt to enjoy it. Without peanut butter on hand, I tried added cacao power:

Chocolate lovers, beware, these little nibs are not the melt in your mouth delicious that you know and love. They're almost refreshing. They have a *zip* to them. It added a bit of *zip* and *crunch* to my smoothie which was fun, but not anything significant that made it seem worth adding these cacao power nibs to my smoothies again. Have any of you used these nibs before? Suggestions would be appreciated!

It's yoga time!


No comments:

Post a Comment