Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chilled? Make this.

The temperatures have been going up and down like a yo-yo lately. It almost felt like Spring this morning while Os and I were out on a walk. Tonight? -18. bbRRrrrrr!

We came in from a decent walk and I wanted something warm. Something hearty. Cue white bean & roasted garlic soup. It came from the Soup cookbook that C & J got for me a few years ago with a few modifications.

Ingredients:
1 bulb garlic (go ahead, use the whole bulb, there are colds and the flu around every corner)
1 can white kidney beans
5 sundried tomatoes (chopped)
3 cups stock
a pinch of rosemary

Peel your cloves of garlic, but don't chop. Put them in a small pot with some olive oil and partially cover, letting roast on low heat for half an hour.

Once the garlic is roasted, add it to a food processor or blender with 3/4 of the can of white kidney beans, and blend. I used a blender, so I added about a cup of the stock so that it would puree easier. Add your puree to a pot with your stock, your sundried tomatoes,rosemary and the rest of the white kidney beans. Let simmer for half an hour.

The recipe called for diced tomatoes, I only had sundried on hand though, so I added them and enjoyed the punch of flavour that they added. The recipe also called for prociutto. I'm sure that prociutto or it's cousin jamon serrano would've been very tasty, but it would've blown the salt levels off of the charts. I rinsed my white kidney beans thoroughly before adding them to the mixture, but I still found this soup to be quite salty.

This soup totally satisfied the hearty food craving that was happening in my belly. I added half of a toasted thin bagel with parmesan cheese. Way to add to the salt factor, me!


[A big thanks to the 4 grapefruits that provided their support in a kitchen with a lack of counter space]

No comments:

Post a Comment