Sunday, January 23, 2011

Make this.

It's yoga weekend! I've been pretty uninspired when it comes to cooking the last couple of weeks, mostly because I was sick and anything more complicated than adding dried fruit to yogurt really took all of my energy. But knowing that I would be doing lots of activity, I had to come up with something tasty to give me energy. I saw this recipe on (never home) maker for pesto quiche. What really caught my attention was the oatmeal crust, so simple yet so tasty.

Crust:
3/4 cup oats
1/2 whole wheat flour
3 tbsps butter
3 tbsps almond milk
pinch of salt

Put the oats, flour and pinch of salt in the food processor and zap for a second to mix. Add the butter, I used earth balance for the first time, I had been reading about it for a while so decided to give it a shot, it's tasty! Blend the three ingredients blend together for a few seconds, until they ball together. Add the almond milk and blend a bit more. (never home) maker then rolled the dough out inside of plastic wrap. I just pressed it evenly into the dish before popping it into the 400 degree preheated oven for 10 minutes.

A photo of the ingredients for the crust:


Filling:
4 eggs
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 tbsps pesto
1 tbsp grainy mustard
2 tbsps almond milk
2 tbsps parmesan cheese
ground pepper

This is slightly different from the recipe that I followed. The original called for 3 eggs and 3 egg whites. I know the egg whites are to make it fluffier, but I decided to just use 4 eggs instead. I also didn't use peppers, I really like onion quiche.

Fry the onion in olive oil until soft. While the onion is doing it's thing, in a bowl:
Beat the 4 eggs together
Add the 2 tbsps almond milk, 1 tbsp mustard, 3 tbsps of the pesto (save 1 tbsp for the crust), and the ground pepper. Whisk together until well blended.

Your crust is probably done by now. Remove from oven, and spread your last tbsp of pesto on the crust. Then sprinkle the parmesan cheese on it. Add your onions onto the crust, and finally your egg mixture on top. Reduce your oven temperature to 350 degree, and let the quiche bake for 30 minutes.

This is the result:
Your home will smell amazing. You'll cross your fingers that it tastes half as delicious as it smells. You won't be disappointed. You'll take it to whatever day long activity you have and your colleagues will wide-eyedly ask you what it is. And you'll tell them that they'll just have to start reading your blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment