Friday, January 7, 2011

Mac n' Cheese

Every parent has their favourite stories about their kids. One of my mum's is when I was 12, babysitting age, a mum asked me to prepare Kraft Dinner for her son. My response was I didn't know how, my mum never taught me. The only memory that I have of Kraft Dinner in our house is when I was 9, and it was overcooked. Mushy KD is not delicious.

There are some things that I love about Americans, one of them is their love of mac n' cheese, and how it seems that everyone's mum or granny makes the best. I was reading (never home) maker tonight and decided to try out their recipe for mac n' cheese. Here is what I did, a couple of small adjustments:

1 1/2 cups veggie corkscrew pasta
1 tbsp olive oil (I measured!)
1 tbsp whole wheat flour
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
the rest of the cheddar cheese that was in my fridge, a little over a cup
1/2 cup pureed garbanzo beans (pureed in my Magic Bullet, yes!)
1/4 tsp pimenton de la vera (paprika)
1/2 tsp pepper

Heat the oil and add the flour, stir until thick, then add the almond milk. Stir constantly for a couple of minutes until thick. Add the pumpkin, garbanzo beans and cheese, stir until all melted together, and add the spices.

Pimenton de la Vera is a smoky paprika that is popular in Spanish cooking. I bought some as my cousin suggested adding it to salads, it's pretty tasty! It's got a very distinct smoky flavour. Here is my melted mixture, looks cheesy!:

With the veggie corkscrew pasta:

This is pretty delicious stuff. I might reduce the amount of paprika that I add next time, as it is a strong flavour. I'm looking forward to this at lunch tomorrow though!

I was so pleased with the Organics Delivered trial, I signed up for 6 months. This weeks box contained: swiss chard, celery, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, garlic, grapefruit, pears, apples and mangoes! Come back and see what creations come out of this :)


1 comment:

  1. Mac n Cheese..yumm! That is a very different version but sounds good.

    ReplyDelete