Sunday, March 28, 2010

mMmolasses


I decided that I wanted to make cookies, with all natural sugars of course. My friend over at Alilstrange has got my hooked, absolutely hooked on edibleperspective.com. I love this girl and all of her food and activity adventures. I decided to try the recipe that she posted for molasses cookies.

Off to the neighbourhood hippy supermarket I went to get some organic sucanat. This supermarket is a whole new world for me, and I'm loving it. Sucanat is the contraction of Sugar Cane Natural, or non-refined cane sugar. The juice is squeezed out of the cane, then dried. The result are sweet little grains that kind of look like sand. It's not a processed sugar, so it fits nicely into Jent.

I got home, and was planning on making half a batch of the recipe, only to realize that I only had a quarter of the flour called for. Oops. A quarter batch(ish) it is:

1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup sucanat
2 tbsps molasses
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup flour
1 clove
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Cream the butter and sucanat together until soft and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and molasses until just combined. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together before adding them 1/3 at a time into the wet. Roll into little balls and place on a cookie sheet with a couple of inches space between, and bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes.

These cookies were so yummy. With no processed sugar. I'm totally going to make a full batch next, you can find that recipe here. J, and our neighbour espaƱolo A enjoyed these, and agree on the 5 oslos given.

No comments:

Post a Comment